Choosing an Organization
You may choose any known organization (for-profit, not-for-profit, small, medium, large, existing, new start-up, established organizations are all permitted) or make one up for your Plan. If you make up your own organization, you will need to find (and reference where applicable) information that is relevant to this type of organization. If you are unsure, it is strongly suggested that you use an existing company. Focus on one or two major products/services rather than the whole organization.
Writing the Plan
Follow the report format for the Marketing Plan closely. Write in business report format using full paragraphs unless otherwise stated. It is crucial to follow various major concepts in the textbook to devise your plan and strategy for each section. In other words, use major parts of each chapter to discuss details for each section. The length of the assignment should be between 8-10 pages, not including an appendix. A minimum of 3 scholarly sources including your textbook must be cited using any recognized citation style. Use in-text citations throughout the paper.
Marketing Plan Format
Review the Sample Marketing Plan in Appendix 1 of your etext. Follow the table of contents below, using the Sample in the etext as a guide only for the type of content expected in each section. Many sections are similar. For example, both the Sample and this assignment include a SWOT analysis.
Important: A minimum of 3 scholarly sources including your etext are required. Use in-text citations throughout the paper.
Table of Contents
- Use the headings show in this example as your table of contents.
Introduction to Organization and Product/Service and Microenvironment
- Background and explanation including the one or two products/services you are focusing on
- Include main actors in the micro environment (incorporate relevant aspects of Dropbox 2 into this part; see Chapter 3).
- Include a discussion of the main forces in the macroenvironment (incorporate relevant aspects of Dropbox 2 into this part; see Chapter 3).
Basic Marketing Research
- What marketing research does the organization plan (incorporate relevant aspects of Dropbox 2 into this part)?
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats – a chart format is OK for this section – see SWOT section in the Sample Marketing Plan in the etext.
- See the Competitive Review section in the Sample Marketing Plan in the etext.
- Be specific, preferably measurable objectives, explain – see Objectives and Issues section in the Sample Marketing Plan in the etext.
Positioning, Target Market and Segmentation
- Create a positioning statement or improve upon the one the organization currently has (this can be a short phrase or one-liner – see page 204 of the etext under “Differentiation and Positioning” for examples). What is the segment and who is the target market? Prepare a small chart similar to Table A1.1 in the Sample Marketing Plan in the etext.
Marketing Mix Strategies
Describe strategies for all 4 P’s of marketing, or how to improve what a company is currently doing; See Marketing Strategy section in the Sample Marketing Plan in etext but describe these in further detail with full analysis for each separately – this may be your largest section of the report.
- Promotion and Integrated Marketing Communication (also incorporate Dropbox 5 into this area)
Ethical, Legal and Privacy Considerations
- What ethical and legal issues present themselves? Consider any of these as relevant and describe how you would address these.
- Include any data and graphs or web printouts that are relevant but are too large to fit within the text of the report. This is an optional section.
MKTG 210: Principles of Marketing