Penn Foster Exam: 089019RR – Small Engine Ignition Systems
When you have completed your exam and reviewed your answers, click Submit Exam. Answers will not be recorded until you hit Submit Exam. If you need to exit before completing the exam, click Cancel Exam.
Questions 1 to 20: Select the best answer to each question. Note that a question and its answers may be split across a page break, so be sure that you have seen the entire question and all the answers before choosing an answer.
1. The insulator of a typical spark plug is made of
B. oil-resistant fiberglass.
C. tempered steel.
D. soft plastic.
2. The flywheel and the crankshaft are held together in alignment by the
A. flywheel key.
C. armature coil.
D. cylinder head.
3. The flow of electrons in a circuit is called
4. A safety interlock module operates by monitoring the voltage from the
A. power source.
B. ignition coil.
5. When a conductor is moved in a magnetic field, a voltage will be induced on the conductor. However, current won’t flow through the conductor unless the conductor is
A. connected in a closed circuit.
B. made of copper.
C. formed into a coil.
D. moved very quickly through the magnetic field.
6. In a nonelectronic small engine ignition system, which of the following ignition components is energized
by the power source first?
A. primary winding of the ignition coil.
B. breaker points.
C. secondary winding of the ignition coil.
D. spark plug.
7. The terminals of a diode are called the
A. emitter, the collector, and the base.
B. anode and the cathode.
C. primary and the secondary.
D. gate, the anode, and the cathode.
8. Which of the following statements about electronic ignition modules is correct?
A. Most electronic ignition modules have long life spans and don’t require any adjustments.
B. Because electronic ignition modules contain so many moving parts, they tend to wear out very quickly.
C. Electronic ignition modules are easily damaged by moisture, oil, and dirt.
D. Electronic ignition modules are very expensive, so they’re usually repaired rather than replaced.
9. Which of the following statements about the transformer in a small engine ignition system is correct?
A. A transformer will only be found in an ignition system that’s powered by a magneto.
B. The secondary winding is connected to the spark plug wire.
C. The secondary winding of a transformer contains fewer coils of wire than the primary winding.
D. The transformer’s iron core is called the primary.
10. The function of the condenser in a breaker points ignition system is to
A. delay the opening of the points.
B. advance the engine timing at high rpm.
C. induce a voltage in the primary coil.
D. prevent electricity from arcing across the points.
11. Where are the breaker points and condenser connected in an ignition system?
A. Between the battery and the primary winding of the ignition coil
B. Between the primary winding of the ignition coil and ground
C. Between the secondary winding of the ignition coil and ground
D. Between the battery and the secondary winding of the ignition coil
12. Which one of the following statements is correct?
A. An electron has a neutral electrical charge.
B. An electron is located in the nucleus of an atom.
C. An electron has a negative electrical charge.
D. An electron is much larger than an atom.
13. One milliampere is equal to
A. 1,000 amperes.
B. 0.001 ampere.
C. 0.000001 ampere.
D. 1,000,000 amperes.
14. In a capacitor discharge ignition system, which one of the following components performs the same job that the breaker points do in a non-electronic ignition system?
A. A charging coil
B. A diode
C. A capacitor
D. A trigger coil
15. Testing devices used to check the condition of engine modules are usually
A. too unreliable to be worth using.
B. the same cost as a replacement module.
C. too expensive for small shops to purchase.
D. cheap enough for small shops to purchase.
16. You need to adjust the gap of a spark plug. To do this, you would
A. gently tap on the terminal nut of the spark plug with a hammer.
B. pull on the center electrode with a longnose pliers.
C. unscrew the center insulator with a spark plug socket wrench.
D. carefully bend the grounding electrode.
17. Which one of the following letters is used as an abbreviation for electric current?
18. In electrical work, the symbol W is used to indicate
A. electromagnetic force.
19. The magneto air gap is a precision measurement that’s taken between the
A. spark plug terminal and the ignition coil.
B. edge of the flywheel and the ignition coil armature.
C. center electrode and the grounding electrode of a spark plug.
D. two breaker point contacts.
20. The length of the metal threads at the end of a spark plug is called the
Blake amuses and challenges his teachers with his independent thinking. He’s self-reliant and responds appropriately to corrections and criticism. Blake’s parents probably used the _______style of child rearing.
What takes place in this brief story?
Golpea la puerta. No hay nadie en la casa. Entonces entra. Ve tres platos de comida.
A. She knocks on the door but runs away.
B. She goes into the house, but no one is there.
C. She goes into the house and falls asleep.
D. She doesn’t see any food in the house.